Rubbish and Recycling
Collected weekly for all your domestic rubbish.
Collected fortnightly for recyclable waste only.
Twice-a-year service for general waste, green waste, white goods and metal products.
Make sure your green bin doesn’t contain the following:
- glass of any sort
- car batteries
- construction, demolition or earth materials, such as bricks, building materials, sand, soil, concrete, rocks or asbestos
- hazardous waste, including petrol and flammable liquids, paints, motor oils and fluids, garden chemicals and poisons, pool chemicals, cleaners, acids, bleaches and ammonia, medicines or gas cylinders
- hot ashes or coals.
Place your bin for collection on the verge 1/2m from the kerb with the wheels facing your house. Ensure it is not under a tree canopy. It should be out by 6am on the day of collection and returned to your property as soon as possible.
Tips to help you get the most out of your rubbish collection service
- Store your bin in a shaded area
- Clean your bin regularly using hot soapy water
- Wrap all moist and perishable foods in newspaper
- Put lawn clippings on top of the material in your bin to prevent jamming.
Report any bin damage or theft to the City’s Environmental Health Department on 9474 0777.
Your yellow-topped recycling bin is emptied fortnightly on rubbish day. Make sure all recyclables are clean before putting them in the bin, and all food and liquid is removed. Everything should be loose – not in plastic bags.
Make sure your recycling bin contains only the following:
- glass bottles and jars - no china, porcelain, pottery or other types of glass, and no lids
- newspaper, office paper, magazines, junk mail and phone books
- drink cartons including fruit juice and milk cartons. No silver-lined UHT cartons
- plastic bottles and containers. All with the recycling symbol at the bottom and thoroughly rinsed and containing no hazardous materials
- steel and aluminium cans including aerosol cans - no other metal items of any kind
- all other cardboard - remove contents and liners and flatten
Your recycling bin must not contain:
- lids of any bottles or jars
- garden refuse
- liquids of any kind
- household food materials
- polystyrene containers such as meat trays and packaging
- cling wrap, bread bags or plastic bags
Ordering New Bins
If you are a new resident or have finished construction of your new home and require new rubbish and recycling bins, please contact the City on 9474 0777.
Bulk Waste Collection
The City of South Perth provides two kerbside bulk waste collections per year for general waste. Dates are advertised in local newspapers and residents are delivered a leaflet about 10 days before collection starts in their area.
The next Bulk Waste Collection will take place between 25 February and 8 April 2013.
The bulk waste collection service removes:
- uncontaminated green/garden waste (trimmed tree branches, lawn clippings and leaves bagged/boxed)
- white goods and metal products (stoves, refrigerators with doors removed, and other white goods)
- general waste (old furniture and general domestic rubbish).
Rubbish must be separated into those three categories.
The service will not remove:
- bricks, sand, rubble and cement
- foodstuff or household waste
- flammable liquid including household paint and oil
- motor vehicles, whole or parts
- tyres or batteries
- asbestos cement products
- hazardous chemical substances
- large tree trunks or stumps (maximum diameter 15cm and maximum length 1.5m).
Rubbish should not be placed out more than seven days before collection week. Residents with rubbish out before this time may be required to remove it.
For more information, contact the City on 9474 0777.