Rubbish and Recycling
Collected weekly for all your domestic rubbish.
Collected fortnightly for recyclable waste only.
One dedicated hard waste and one dedicated green waste collection per household per year.
Make sure your green bin doesn’t contain the following:
- glass of any sort
- car batteries
- construction, demolition or earth materials, such as bricks, building materials, sand, soil, concrete, rocks or asbestos
- hazardous waste, including petrol and flammable liquids, paints, motor oils and fluids, garden chemicals and poisons, pool chemicals, cleaners, acids, bleaches and ammonia, medicines or gas cylinders
- hot ashes or coals.
Place your bin for collection on the verge 1/2m from the kerb with the wheels facing your house. Ensure it is not under a tree canopy. It should be out by 6am on the day of collection and returned to your property as soon as possible.
Tips to help you get the most out of your rubbish collection service
- Store your bin in a shaded area
- Clean your bin regularly using hot soapy water
- Wrap all moist and perishable foods in newspaper
- Put lawn clippings on top of the material in your bin to prevent jamming.
Report any bin damage or theft to the City’s Environmental Health Department on 9474 0777.
Your yellow-topped recycling bin is emptied fortnightly on rubbish day. Make sure all recyclables are clean before putting them in the bin, and all food and liquid is removed. Everything should be loose – not in plastic bags.
Make sure your recycling bin contains only the following:
- glass bottles and jars - no china, porcelain, pottery or other types of glass, and no lids
- newspaper, office paper, magazines, junk mail and phone books
- drink cartons including fruit juice and milk cartons. No silver-lined UHT cartons
- plastic bottles and containers. All with the recycling symbol at the bottom and thoroughly rinsed and containing no hazardous materials
- steel and aluminium cans including aerosol cans - no other metal items of any kind
- all other cardboard - remove contents and liners and flatten
Your recycling bin must not contain:
- lids of any bottles or jars
- garden refuse
- liquids of any kind
- household food materials
- polystyrene containers such as meat trays and packaging
- cling wrap, bread bags or plastic bags
Ordering New Bins
If you are a new resident or have finished construction of your new home and require new rubbish and recycling bins, please contact the City on 9474 0777.
Bulk Waste Collection
The City of South Perth provides two kerbside bulk waste collections per year.
Following a review of the City's waste management practices, the City is changing the way your bulk waste is collected. Along with many other metropolitan Local Governments, the City is shifting to a wiser system and will now provide one dedicated green waste and one dedicated hard waste collection per household per year. The change will come into effect immediately and will impact on the next bulk waste service commencing in August 2013.
For more information about the changes, view the Changes to Bulk Waste Collection information brochure.
The next Bulk Waste Collection will take place between 12 August and 20 September 2013. You can download the Autumn Hard Waste Collection brochure here.
You can use the Find My Collection Day module to find out your collection date for the upcoming hard waste collection. Dates are also advertised in local newspapers and residents are delivered a leaflet about 10 days before collection starts in your area.
More information is available on the Bulk Waste Collection Service page.
For more information, contact the City on 9474 0777.