Rubbish and Recycling
Collected weekly for all your domestic rubbish.
Collected fortnightly for recyclable waste only.
Verge Side Collection
One dedicated hard waste and two dedicated green waste collections per household per year.
- Rubbish and Recycling Collection Map
- Rubbish and Recycling Calendar 2015
- Rivers Regional Council - Yellow Top Recycling flyer 1
- Rivers Regional Council - Yellow Top Recycling flyer 2
Make sure your green bin doesn’t contain the following:
- glass of any sort
- car batteries
- construction, demolition or earth materials, such as bricks, building materials, sand, soil, concrete, rocks or asbestos
- hazardous waste, including petrol and flammable liquids, paints, motor oils and fluids, garden chemicals and poisons, pool chemicals, cleaners, acids, bleaches and ammonia, medicines or gas cylinders
- hot ashes or coals.
Place your bin for collection on the verge 1/2m from the kerb with the wheels facing your house (pictured left).
Your rubbish and recycle bin should be 1/2m apart from each other. This is to ensure that the hydraulic arm on the collection vehicle is able to reach, lift and empty your bins.
Ensure your bin is not under a tree canopy. It should be out by 6am on the day of collection and returned to your property as soon as possible.
Tips to help you get the most out of your rubbish collection service
- Store your bin in a shaded area
- Clean your bin regularly using hot soapy water
- Wrap all moist and perishable foods in newspaper
- Put lawn clippings on top of the material in your bin to prevent jamming.
Report any bin damage or theft to the City on 9474 0777.
Ordering New Bins
If you are a new resident or have finished construction of your new home and require new rubbish and recycling bins, please contact the City on 9474 0777.
Your yellow-topped recycling bin is emptied fortnightly on rubbish day. Make sure all recyclables are clean before putting them in the bin, and all food and liquid is removed. Everything should be loose – not in plastic bags.
Make sure your recycling bin contains only the following:
- glass bottles and jars - no china, porcelain, pottery or other types of glass, and no lids
- newspaper, office paper, magazines, junk mail and phone books
- drink cartons including fruit juice and milk cartons. No silver-lined UHT cartons
- plastic bottles and containers. All with the recycling symbol at the bottom and thoroughly rinsed and containing no hazardous materials
- steel and aluminium cans including aerosol cans - no other metal items of any kind
- all other cardboard - remove contents and liners and flatten
Your recycling bin must not contain:
- lids of any bottles or jars
- garden refuse
- liquids of any kind
- household food materials
- polystyrene containers such as meat trays and packaging
- cling wrap, bread bags or plastic bags
Old Mobile Phones and Batteries
The South Perth and Manning Libraries have recycling stations to allow easy disposal of your:
- Old mobile phones
- Printer cartridges (please remove packaging)
- Household dry cell batteries
Gopher-Assisted Household Bin Service
Residents who are unable to physically move their bins to and from the kerbside, due to disability or illness, can apply for a gopher or assisted household bin service. The collection vehicle driver will then wheel the bins out and return them to and from an agreed place on the resident’s property. The assistance service is provided at no additional cost to the normal servicing charge, provided that the applicant has written support from their medical professional.
For more information or to register, contact the City on 9474 0777.
Verge Side Collection
The City of South Perth provides one hard waste and two green waste collections per year. Dates are advertised in local newspapers and residents are delivered a brochure about 10 days before collection starts in their area.
More information is available on the City's Verge Side Collection page.
To assist the City of South Perth in reducing waste to landfill and increasing recycling, a number of items are accepted FREE of charge if separated from general waste loads. Simply drop them off at the City of South Perth Collier Park Waste Transfer Station or contact the City on 9474 0777 for more information.