Planning and Building Information

Development Control

Quick Start Guide
What does Development Services do?  
Information Sheets

Quick Start Guide

Not sure where to start with all of these documents and information?  Then start here with our Quick Start Guide to Town Planning at the City of South Perth.

What does Development Services do?

Development Services incorporates the Town Planning and Building responsibilities allocated to the City.

Planning Services

The City is responsible for the detailed control of land use and the design and siting of all buildings proposed to be constructed in the district with the object of preserving or enhancing existing amenity.  The City's Town Planning Schemes, Planning Policies, Municipal Heritage Inventory and Residential Design Guidelines facilitate the achievement of this objective.

An application for Planning Approval needs to be submitted to the City's Planning Services Department when a property owner wishes to:
•    build a new building,
•    extend (including patios, alfrescos and sheds) an existing building,
•    change the use of the property, or
•    conduct a 'Home Occupation'.

Any building works proposed will also need to submit a Building License application to the City's Building Services Department.

An application to subdivide or amalgamate land is lodged with the Western Australian Planning Commission. However, in the case of a proposed subdivision, the City's Town Planning Scheme, incorporating the Residential Design Codes of Western Australia, determines how many lots may be created.

Building Services
The City is obliged to administer and control the construction standards and requirements imposed by legislation encompassed in the Local Government Act, Building Code Of Australia, Council's Policies and other regulations.  These include issuing Building Licences, Demolition Licences and Pool Licences and inspections.

Information Sheets

These are prepared by the City on a range of subjects to provide guidance in relation to the City's town planning and building requirements.  The links section on this page contains additional information provided by other organisations.

Planning & Building Services Info
Thinking of Building?
How do I obtain a copy of my Building Plans?
Caring for our Street Trees
Trees on Development Sites and Street Verges - Policy P350.5
Street Trees - Policy P308
Building a Sustainable House
Street Verges
Acid Sulfate Soils and Unstable Material
Planning Services Info
Applying for Planning Approval
Applying to WAPC for Subdivision or Amalgamation of  Land
Proposing to operate a business from home?
Use of land (including Change of Use and Non-Conforming Use)
Neighbour Consultation
Explanation of types of 'Dwellings' and types of 'Title'
Right-of-way closure process
Requesting a Town Planning Scheme Amendment
Building Services Info
Applying for a Building Licence  
Applying for a Demolition Licence
Applying for a Verge Licence
More info on Swimming Pool/Spa Fence & Gate Requirements  NB: Also refer to the Department of Housing and Works Swimming pool information.


To fulfill the City's responsibilities in relation to town planning and development control, the following documents have been prepared by the City and are currently in force.
Town Planning Documents
Town Planning Scheme No. 6
Town Planning Schemes determine where and how certain types of developments and land uses are permitted.  Schemes are amended from time to time and made available during the amendment process for public comment .

Town Planning Policies
Planning Polices complement the Town Planning Scheme and provide guidance on a range of Town Planning matters. New and amended policies are made available for public comment before becoming operational. Most of the Town Planning Policies fall within "Goal 3".  Please also note policy P104 under "Goal 1".

Local Commercial Strategy
The Local Commercial Strategy was adopted by the Council at its March 2004 meeting (refer to item 9.3.4 and relevant attachments). The Strategy is currently awaiting endorsement by the Minister for Planning and Infrastructure.

Adopted Local Commercial Strategy 2004
Local Commercial Strategy Appendices 1 and 2
Local Commercial Strategy Appendix 3

Municipal Heritage Inventory
The Municipal Heritage Inventory (MHI) is prepared under the Heritage of Western Australia Act 1990. The Inventory has Town Planning implications for those properties identified in the list. The MHI is reviewed annually and changes are advertised for public comment before becoming operational.

Residential Design Guidelines
Residential Design Guidelines are prepared for specific localities and contain detailed requirements for development within those localities. Some of these requirements are variations from the Residential Design Codes of Western Australia (R Codes) and the City’s Planning Policies. All other requirements prescribed in the Town Planning Schemes, R Codes, Policies and Municipal Heritage Inventory still apply.
Building Services Documents
Building Policies
Building Policies are prepared by the City to provide guidance on certain building matters.


Planning Services Administration
Fees Schedule

Planning Approval Application Form

Planning Approval Application Check lists
These checklists list the information that is required to be shown in some of the common types of Planning Approval Applications.

New Dwellings AND Additions and Alterations to Existing Dwellings

Patio Addition to Existing Dwelling(s)

Home Occupation

Change of Use

Submission and Meeting Deadlines
Most applications for planning approval are determined by officers under delegated authority. Where officers do not have the delegated authority, applications are referred to a Council meeting. Applicants should discuss their application with the Planning Services staff to get an indication of whether or not a referral to a Council meeting might be required.

Standard Conditions and Footnotes for Planning Approval
This is a list of all the standard conditions and footnotes that the City uses when preparing Planning Approvals.  The City may also issue non-standard conditions and footnotes.

Building Services Administration

Building and Demolition Permits
Due to changes in the Building Legislation the City's webpages relating to building related applications is currently under construction. Building Permit Application forms and further information can be found at the Department of Commerce - Building Commission website. The City apologises for any inconvenience.

Application to Deposit Materials on Verge
You need to apply to the City if you wish to store some materials on your front verge.

Application for Approval to Install Battery Powered Smoke Alarms into a Dwelling
Application for a Crossing


The following links to other websites are useful.
General Links
State Law Publisher
The State Law Publisher has 'Online Publications' relating to Western Australian Statutes and Regulations. State legislation and regulations relating to Town Planning and Building are located at this site.

Dividing Fences Information
Refer to information on the Dividing Fences Act, and City’s Policy on fences.
State Administrative Tribunal (SAT)
Information on the formation of the tribunal, appeal forms, legislation, rules and regulations.
Please note: this tribunal deals with many types of decisions made by various WA government bodies.  When reading this site in connection with your:
Town Planning Links
Residential Design Codes 2008 (R-Codes 2008)
The R-Codes are incorporated into the City’s Town Planning Scheme and need to be read as part of the Scheme.  Please note that the Town Planning Scheme and some Planning Policies vary certain requirements of the R-Codes.
Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC)
The Western Australian Planning Commission is the decision making body at the State level in relation to urban and regional planning.  The Commission is supported by an administrative department known as the Department for Planning and Infrastructure.  Responsibilities include land subdivision/amalgamation, the review of Local Councils’ proposed Town Planning Schemes or amendments to existing Schemes, and the preparation of regulatory documents such as the Residential Design Codes.

Heritage Council of Western Australia
The Heritage Council of WA manages heritage at a state wide level.  Their website also has background information relating to Municipal Heritage Inventories held by the local governments. 

Municipal Heritage Inventories Brochure
Municipal Heritage Inventories Fact Sheet
Caring for Your Community's Heritage

Building Links
Building Management and Works 
General information about building in Western Australia.
Australian Building Codes Board
The BCA is the main document Building Licences are assessed against Australia wide.
BCA Energy Efficiency
The Building Code of Australia requires that an Energy Efficiency Assessment be submitted with certain categories of Building Licence Applications (including new and additions/alterations to residential dwellings).

Fact Sheet

Find a 'Building Assessor'
Other resources

Footer Divider